[CAUT] Baldwin Termination Bars

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun May 10 10:13:41 MDT 2009

Scott Nelson wrote:
> I have to confess that I didn't fully comprehend the alteration to the
> termination bars that Ron accomplished in his SD-10 rebuild. The
> schematic makes it perfectly clear.
>
> It looks like the duplex length has been cut down from from about 43-46
> mm, depending on the type, to about 10 mm.

Exactly. A different shape insert could get you up to about
14mm without modifying the termination piece, but this was
easy, and worked very well.

>Does the segment between the
> half-round and the front string rest still contribute to noise or is it
> no longer a direct function of the speaking length?

No noise at all, that I can detect. For any movement that gets
past the brass, which isn't much because of the length of that
first segment, the remaining segment isn't long enough to be
noisy. If the original design had left a 25mm or so duplex
segment, it never would have been a problem in the first place.

> Also, is there any particular reason for choosing brass over some other
> insert, other than it being readily available?
>
> Scott Nelson

Readily available, and easy to work with my machinery. That's
it. Steel would work as well, Titanium would make it necessary
to print up brochures.
Ron N