[CAUT] Semantics

Escapement escapement at comcast.net
Sun May 10 13:48:27 PDT 2009

I'm new to the piano tuning world but I do have a background in computer
science and have worked with signal processing.  I just read through these
posts and have to admit I was thrown for a bit of a loop when I read that
it's now agreed that the soundboard should be called a "transducer."

My understanding of a transducer has always been that it is a device that
takes one form of information or energy and converts it into another form.
(Like the speaker example given where *electrical current* is converted to
physical vibrations through the electromagnetic voice coil).  The speaker
isn't a transducer because the voice coil vibrates the membrane -it's a
transducer because it takes the *electrical current* in the wire and
converts it to vibrations *(sound)*.  In the same way that a microphone is a
transducer because it takes *sound* and converts it to an *electrical
signal*.

But with the soundboard I don't see this conversion.  My understanding of
how a piano works is that the vibrations in the strings are coupled with the
vibrations in the bridge/ soundboard.  But it's vibrations to
vibrations-sound (though very slight) to sound (much louder).  I suppose you
could call the piano itself a transducer in that it (along with the player)
takes the information on the music page and converts it to sound.  But
calling the soundboard a transducer seems odd to me.

I agree that technically, the soundboard doesn't amplify the string energy,
per se, but it does make the sound louder because it is far more efficient
at taking that little bit of energy and converting it into sound energy.

My understanding of the soundboard is that it is a *resonator*-that it
reinforces and emphasizes the sounds generated by the strings, that the
strings and the soundboard work together to make the sound.  It is this
*resonance* that increases the sound output of the piano.

But I don't see the big deal in saying the soundboard amplifies the sound.
Though it doesn't amplify the energy, acting as a *resonator* it does take
that energy and (a great deal more efficiently) converts it to a much
*louder* sound.  And we measure loudness by *amplitude* of the sound/sine
wave.  So, saying the sound is "amplified" by the soundboard seems
reasonable to me.

I mean, are we supposed to say that the soundboard "transduces" the sound to
higher amplitude?  Is that really more instructive than, "the soundboard
helps to amplify the sound?"  To me, it just sounds confusing.  Again, my
understanding is that the soundboard acts as a resonator and reinforces the
sounds made by the strings to increase the sound output. to make it louder.
to amplify the sound.

I don't see a transducer in the soundboard.

When you strike a tuning fork and place it against a table, don't you say
the table amplifies the tuning fork?  Would anyone really argue with this?
Would you really say the table becomes a transducer?  Would it be more
correct to say that the table resonates along with the fork and increases
the sound output?  The table isn't a transducer. the fork vibrates, the
table vibrates (resonates).  And part of the definition of a resonator is
that it "amplifies" vibrations (but again, in the sense described above).

With respect,

Gary Hodge

PTG - ASSOCIATE MEMBER