[CAUT] Accujust and grunting fish bait

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon May 11 16:33:54 MDT 2009

David Love wrote:
> OK. I'm not trying to be a pain here so please bear with me as I wrestle
> with the correct terminology (I do get the mechanics).  If we hammer on a
> string that is not connected to a soundboard we hardly hear it.  When we do
> couple it to a soundboard the energy output can actually damage our hearing.
> How is that reconciled with either no new energy is created or the output of
> energy is not increased when we consider sound as a form of energy.  Isn't
> there such a thing as a mechanical amplifier?
>
> David Love

I think you're having the same problem plenty of other people
commonly have, in thinking of string energy as sound. It's
not, even though a very small part of what's there produces a
faint sound. It's not sound when it transfers to the board
either. It becomes the loud  piano sound when the board moves
air and we hear the result. Sound is a manifestation of
energy, but energy isn't necessarily sound. You can't hear
light, even when it's at a high enough energy level to fry
you. In that case, you can smell the BBQ. But a light beam can
transmit what is translatable into  sound at the receiver,
either by analog modulation, or digital pulses.

Ron N