[CAUT] Accujust and grunting fish bait

Sloane, Benjamin (sloaneba) sloaneba at ucmail.uc.edu
Tue May 12 06:08:25 MDT 2009

   We should not ignore the role of the modern piano action in creating the sound of the modern piano. Dale Probst states 5/11:

"A piano action could be thought of as a mechanical amplifier. The system of levers actually increase the power and speed of the keystroke to the hammer strike."

Actually, whatever could be made of this isolated description, the modern piano action, accelerated or not, has everything to do with the sound production of the modern piano. The modern piano action and its system of levers would tear a Mozart pianoforte to shreds. The Mozart pianoforte could never withstand the kind of force the modern piano action creates when striking a string. The strings would all be broken as soon as you played them if you installed a modern piano action in a Mozart pianoforte.

  I agree that we must consider the piano action in any discussion of the source in sound production of pianos. The action has everything to do with how much sound it produces. To ignore this would be to say that percussionists only can play one volume.