[CAUT] Semantics

Greg Soule afmamh7 at bellsouth.net
Tue May 12 07:28:43 MDT 2009

I am usually just a lurker here on CAUT, but allow me to chime in.

Every standard definition of "transducer" that I looked up puts it in
the context of an electrical system - microphone, loudspeaker, TV
picture tube, etc.  Other people here with some background in that
field have echoed this definition of changing one kind of energy into
another (sound or light energy to electrical, etc.).  It seems we are
borrowing this term from the field of electrical engineering, but I
still don't see how it applies precisely to the string-to-soundboard
relationship.

Whether it is the string that is vibrating, or the soundboard, or the
air molecules, it is all vibrational energy.  What we call
"sound" (because we have ears) is still vibrational energy of the air
molecules.  To me, the string-bridge-soundboard chain could be likened
to the bones of the middle ear, which function as a discrete unit to
transmit the vibrations along the chain (with varying degrees of
efficiency).  In the ear, the cochlea is the actual transducer,
changing vibrational energy to electrical nerve impulses.

In the piano, are some people saying that, because the string and
soundboard are such dissimilar materials, and because the perceived
character, or nature, or volume, of the vibrational energy is so
different between them, that they say the energy is not just
transmitted, but transduced (and definitely not "amplified")?  But, it
has not changed types of energy, is still vibrational energy.  That is
where I am still confused.  David Love asked a good question, "Isn't
there such a thing as a mechanical amplifier?"

If we want to talk about the transducer in a mechanical system like
the piano, shouldn't we be talking about the action-to-string
relationship, not the string-to-soundboard?

I think I see my next chapter technical taking shape . . . invite in a
local physicist or acoustician (or whatever) to give us the beef on
this whole topic!

Greg Soule
Marginal CAUT
CAUT list lurker