[CAUT] Semantics

afmamh7 at bellsouth.net afmamh7 at bellsouth.net
Tue May 12 12:01:32 MDT 2009

Yes, but I think this misses the distinction between the purely scientific ("sound is vibration") and the perceptual, even metaphysical the deeper one digs ("vibration is sound/music because we hear it").  In the discussion of whether the soundboard is a transducer, the former matters, the latter does not.

I'm at the point where I think I understand why some say the soundboard is a transducer.  As you explained, the vibration is "changed from a large amplitude vibration of a small area (string) into a large area small amplitude movement of the air over the soundboard."  But I'm not sure I agree it should be called a transducer - it is still just vibrations to vibrations.  Oh, well.

With an open mind,
Greg Soule
--
(sent from webmail)