[CAUT] Ideal humidity levels

Don Mannino DMannino at kawaius.com
Wed May 13 11:42:12 MDT 2009

Elwood,

I would suggest that keeping museum level humidity control is very
expensive, and is not likely to be achieved.  There is something to be
said for giving very tight specs at the start then allowing them to
relax them a little when the building is finished, though.  I like that
approach - but it also could cause your input to be dismissed as too
extreme.

I would suggest that your 25% low number could be the result of a not so
accurate humidity gauge.  This is a common low limit for many electronic
gauges, so if that is what you are using, try a better one, or a sling
psychrometer.  I've found it is extremely common in any variable climate
for inside humidity to drop to the single digits in the winter.

48%-50% will certainly make the pianos nice and stable.
45% - 55% will also be nice, and is more reasonable for the designers.
35% - 65% is an achievable maximum tolerance in most locations that also
contributes to the piano tuner's job security.
Beyond that there be dragons.

The most serious issue at many institutions is the fresh air requirement
in schools.  There is a requirement that the air in a school building be
exchange completely over some period of time (which I think varies by
state), so the HVAC systems sometimes just dump a bunch of outside air
into the system periodically, and the system then works to dry it or
humidify it.  This kind of thing can be a nightmare for concert tunings,
and is very bad in general for most of the musical instruments.  I was
visiting a school once where someone was demonstrating the pipe organ to
me when the cold outside air got dumped into the building - wow, you
should have hear the results!  It took about 15 minutes for it to settle
back down, and the wood pipes, I'm sure, were not happy about the
process.

I know it is possible for the system to be set up to treat the air as it
is being brought in from outside, but the HVAC designers often do not
take this into consideration.  I would make this a priority in your
discussions with the architects.

I was impressed with the music building at the University of Manitoba in
Winnipeg.  They put up with serious weeping window / wall problems in
the winter, and are able to keep the humidity in the building at 35%
minimum through the crazy cold and dry winters in that city. I was there
when it was -5 F outside last year, and the building was cozy at about
68 degrees and 35% humidity, but the windows were all wet, and the
plaster and paint below the windows peels and looks bad.  The humidity
in my hotel room was 7%. I got it up to 25% after a good hot shower.

I'll be interested to hear from others if any of the newer buildings on
the CAUT list are able to maintain good tight temp / humidity ranges.

Don Mannino

  _____