[CAUT] Vibration vs. sound

Greg Newell gnewell at ameritech.net
Wed May 13 14:04:23 MDT 2009

Incinerate it. It might fit then. :-)

Greg Newell

Greg's Piano Forté

www.gregspianoforte.com

216-226-3791 (office)

216-470-8634 (mobile)

From: caut-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf Of G
Cousins
Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:50 PM
To: CAUT
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Vibration vs. sound

Any suggestions on how to fit a "D" inside my shop vac to test this theroy?
=)   (joking of course)
Gerry C

  _____

Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 21:25:11 -0700
From: keithspiano at gmail.com
To: caut at ptg.org

I think it should be; If a string is vibrating in a vacuum, does it make a
sound?

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 8:52 PM, Joe Wiencek <jwpiano at earthlink.net> wrote:

So it seems the conversation has taken a turn towards Zen philosophy (..if a
tree falls and no one's there to hear it...?)  I'm wondering how deaf, yes
even piano tuners, might take to that description?   You might even wish to
call in Beethoven for counsel on this matter.  What did he consider sound
once he became deaf?  Regardless of which taxonomy is invoked, it all comes
down to music, eventually.

Joe Wiencek, RPT
NYU