[CAUT] Semantics

Jim Moy jim at moypiano.com
Wed May 13 18:41:58 MDT 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 11:15 AM, Don Mannino <DMannino at kawaius.com> wrote:
> I'm not clear which person wrote that sound is not a vibration, but that is incorrect.

Always love a conversation where people realize the words they've been
using for ages have meant different things to the participants the
whole time :-)

Don points out the term "vibration" means oscillation about a point of
equilibrium, and that meets with my intuitive understanding of sound.
But isn't the vibration of a string very different than the
compression and rarefaction cycles of air molecules?  Then are we back
to the "transducer" discussion?

Also (based on echoes of engineering classes long forgotten) the
vibration of a string *is* a form of wave -- a "standing" wave caused
by the reflections off the impedance mismatch of the terminated
string.  Had you waited long enough after casting the rock into said
pond, or if the pond was relatively small, you would see the wave
reflecting off its edges and combining with more recent ones to
produce the vibration analagous to that of a piano string.

Jim

--
Jim Moy
Moy Piano Service, LLC