[CAUT] Semantics

Greg Soule afmamh7 at bellsouth.net
Wed May 13 23:05:28 MDT 2009

Wow, this has been an interesting thread.  (some of you probably
abandoned it long ago)

When I wrote, "I think it is incorrect to consider sound and vibration
as two different types of energy.  Sound IS vibration." I hoped it
would elicit responses (and I think it did) that would finally clarify
to me why it is claimed the soundboard is a transducer.  The way the
term "sound" was repeatedly defined simply as "what we hear" I found a
distraction, because it said nothing to differentiate the types of
energy found in the string, board, air, etc., which is the key to
understanding the whole kaboodle.  It sounded to me more like some
fuzzy philosophical tangent on human perception ("If a tree falls in
the forest . . .").

So, bear with me while I lay this all out, and tell me if I'm on track
here . . .

The energy of the string or soundboard has the characteristic of
vibrating from a fixed point, and the vibrating body is under tension;
these factors cause it to want to return to a point of repose.  The
vibration has frequency and amplitude.  (Finer points of distinction
could be made between the ways the string and the board vibrate, but
not by me.)

Although the vibrational energy imparted to the surrounding air also
has frequency and amplitude, air is a very different kind of medium
because air molecules are not anchored to anything.  Since the energy
has no fixed point of vibration, it disperses in all directions like
ripples in a pond.  It is a vibration that leaves its point of origin
and never goes back unless acted upon by an outside force.  This is
the critical distinction of acoustic energy.  Sound IS acoustic energy.

Del Fandrich's illustration brings it home . . . a panel of wood that
vibrates when struck CREATES acoustical energy in the surrounding
air.  This is a different type of energy than that of the string or
soundboard, and this is why it is proper to refer to the soundboard as
a transducer.

Furthermore, even though the term "transducer" in its most common
usage is borrowed from electrical engineering, and electrical
engineers might scratch their heads in confusion when they hear piano
technicians use it about their pianos, it is indeed the best term to
apply to how the energy changes between the soundboard and the
surrounding air.  We use it knowingly and confidently.

For further reading class, please see:
http://www.pianobuilders.com/soundboards.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustics
http://www.sfu.ca/sonic-studio/handbook/Theme_sound_medium.html

Forgive me for being both dense and persistent, thank you for your
patience and I respect you all very highly,
Greg Soule
(and with a final flourish of self-deprecating humor, he returned to
join all the other lurkers)