[CAUT] Ideal humidity levels

Chris Solliday csolliday at rcn.com
Thu May 14 06:28:06 MDT 2009

Elwood,
I should addend my previous recommendation. As Don and others say the 35-65 % is more achievable but the reality was for us** - requesting 42% at 68F, agreeing that 35-65rh was good at "normal" temperatures and actually getting 15-75% and sometimes the temperature is 80 degrees in the summer. So we have Piano Life Savers on ALL pianos. I should mention that we had a piano storage room built for the Steinway D concert piano but it has always been alot of trouble to oversee and maintain and the humdifiers (ducted through the ceiling) have leaked on occasion causing damage to the piano. The string storage room which has discreet humdifiers and dehumidifiers at floor level works well enough with some heavy oversight.
Best of luck, it will be interesting to hear what you finally end up with.
Chris Solliday
Lafayette College **
Lehigh University
East Stroudsburg University