[CAUT] summer procedures

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri May 15 12:29:21 MDT 2009

On May 14, 2009, at 4:57 PM, G Cousins wrote:

> Any others wish to add to the data?

Hi Gary,
	I have a different approach. Summers I do a couple large projects
(replace action parts, restring, what have you), and then go through a
number of pianos in a pretty thorough way. I decide on priorities
(which pianos) during the year, cycling to make sure I get to
everything eventually. The concert grands are always on the list, as
well as piano faculty studios and at least half of piano major
practice rooms and large classrooms. Others cycle in depending on
condition and priority.
	I have a pretty defined procedure that goes through the action from
bottom to top, making sure everything is clean, lubed, tight, well-
aligned, moving straight, etc. Then I go through regulation and
voicing to the extent I have time. Over the years, the general level
of quality has risen, so the starting point and ending point is
higher. I plan on a day or two per piano, depending.
	I'll be going through those procedures in my class at Grand Rapids,
which will include things I have written about in Journal articles as
well as other things. All with an eye to longevity of results, and
efficiency of processes. And ending up with pianos that I can actually
enjoy playing <G>.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico