[CAUT] Semantics

Keith Roberts keithspiano at gmail.com
Mon May 18 07:34:55 MDT 2009

>   I am haunted more and more by the creeping  (creepy) conviction that to
>> most folks, the more rational and logical truth is secondary to the
>> established (albeit unsubstantiated) perception of the masses, and isn't
>> effectively assailable by anything so mundane as evidence.

Ain't that the truth

>  For instance, in what sort of circumstance would spruce be under tension
>> in a soundboard? And should it be, how would that make it receptive to
>> "this" energy?

Oh, oh. One of my pet theories that will be dismissed due to part A... Wood
as it dries after it is dead takes on an internal tension. The fibers are
stretched and being interlocked, pull on each other, creating tension. You
can see this internal tension (evidence) when you run a board through the
table saw and the gap of the cut is getting wider. Without this tension,
wood does not transmit sound well. Wet or green wood does not transmit sound
well (this may or may not have anything to do with the theory). Different
wood has different tension. Milling process can release the tension. It is
designed to make the wood stable. That is one reason spruce is flat sawn for
soundboards.

Flame suit zipped up
Keith Roberts