[CAUT] U-1 string rendering and stability

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Tue May 19 16:59:56 MDT 2009

Yesterday I tuned two grey market U-1s which a school bought for use in small teaching studios.

I noted a difficulty I sometimes have getting a stable unison with notes in the U-1 treble, particularly octave 5.

The tuning pins were holding, but not with a lot to spare, and the pressure bar was not very low. The result was that the strings render very easily, and don't offer much friction to help stabilize the pitch. Add to this the low torque pins, and some of the notes tend to jump back and forth on the slightest touch of the tuning pin, 4 beats sharp, 5 beats flat, 2 beats sharp, 4 beats flat, and so on. (This is the opposite of the tuning problems in a typical 1990's Steinway vertical.)

I am curious if anyone has tried tightening the pressure bar in a U-1 with this condition, and if it has made tuning less tedious in the treble.

Ed Sutton