[CAUT] Mason A Pics

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Thu May 21 12:34:00 MDT 2009

All,

Attached are pictures of the Mason A in question. The angle (deflection) closest to the camera is sharp and might be suspect, but it doesn't go out of tune there any more than octaves 4-6. I tried to match the felt when restringing, but it is certainly compressed and seems wrong. Could this be where the instability is coming from? It was restrung once before I got here, so the felt could be wrong. (Instead of following Ron's "question everything" I sometimes just replace w/o using my brain. Maybe I'm paying for it here.)

We polished the V bar and bar above upper duplex, but the felt is also greatly compressed there. (Seems too thick. Is that felt even needed?)

It has been on its side for a few (4?) months and the tuning is absolutely scary. I will tune it and document what happens in two or three weeks, but here's where it is right now...

Overall pitch is quite close to A440 with notes randomly above and below pitch. There is no "pattern" to the notes that are out; some strings as far as 15 cents below and 5 cents high, but mostly below, with random right/left/center - no pattern. Only 12 stings or so are "way" out; i.e. the whole compass didn't jump. But imagine going to tune a piano and finding a dozen strings randomly wild. This is exactly what has driven us nuts!!

One last point. I tuned it myself (I got mad) several times over a few weeks thinking that maybe the student tunings were the problem. It was much better, but still NOT what I want. Too many wild notes randomly popping out. Gotta be something wrong.

Thanks.

Jim Busby BYU

p.s. I have more pictures if you need more info