[CAUT] [Files] FW: Mason A Pics

Jim Busby kswafford at gmail.com
Thu May 21 12:20:29 MDT 2009

From: Jim Busby

Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2009 10:13 AM

To: 'caut at ptg.org'

Subject: Mason A Pics

All,

Attached are two pictures of the Mason A in question. The angle
closest to the camera is sharp and might be suspect, but it doesn’t go
out of tune there any more than octaves 4-6. I tried to match the felt
when restringing, but it is certainly compressed and seems wrong.
Could this be where the instability is coming from? It was restrung
once before I got here, so the felt could be wrong. (Instead of
following Ron’s “question everything” I sometimes just replace w/o
using my brain. Maybe I’m paying for it here.)

We polished the V bar and bar above upper duplex, but the felt is also
greatly compressed there. (Seems too thick. Is that felt even needed?)

It has been on its side for a few (4?) months and the tuning is
absolutely scary. I will tune it and document what happens in two or
three weeks, but here’s where it is right now…

Overall pitch is quite close to A440 with notes randomly above and
below pitch. There is no “pattern” to the notes that are out; some
strings as far as 15 cents below and 5 cents high, but mostly below,
with random right/left/center – no pattern. Only 12 stings or so are
“way” out; i.e. the whole compass didn’t jump. But imagine going to
tune a piano and finding a dozen strings randomly wild. This is
exactly what has driven us nuts!!

One last point. I tuned it myself (I got mad) several times over a few
weeks thinking that maybe the student tunings were the problem. It was
much better, but still NOT what I want. Too many wild notes randomly
popping out. Gotta be something wrong.

Thanks.

Jim Busby BYU

p.s. I have more pictures if you need more info

Photos at:

http://tinyurl.com/qkpsot

http://tinyurl.com/p38k6q

http://tinyurl.com/p3gtrk