[CAUT] [pianotech] Double loop German stringing

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri May 22 17:45:35 MDT 2009

Conrad Hoffsommer wrote:
> Folks,
>
> We recently acquired a well used Schimmel grand which will need almost
> everything. (Yes, it was also very cheap)
>
> When the time comes to restring, I'll be faced with 68 unisons of
> individual strings. It has the German style loops with a double wrap
> around the hitchpin.  I've got no problem doing the single wrap slip
> knot, and I'm sure I could figure out a way to make the doubles look
> good, but as I'm not into reinventing the wheel, I wonder how others
> have dealt with this.
>
> Do you make up a jig, just use a nail on the workbench, or what?

I made a tool for this over thirty years ago. It's a maple
dowel, hole drilled down through the center, lined with a
small brass tube, so it'll out live me. One end has a #7 wood
screw with the head cut off, and a small wire nail to provide
something to pry the wire around the nail as I turn the tool.
Turn in whichever direction is appropriate to make the tail
end up pointing in the direction you want, and go twice around
for double loops. The other end has just another small wire
nail to hold the tail while I grip the loop with pliers and
again, turn the tool.

I've made hundreds of loops with this silly thing, and it
continues to do the job quickly and easily without bloodshed.

FWIW
Ron N