[CAUT] Yay for Wally's Naturals!

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri May 29 15:30:43 MDT 2009

Hi all,

I want to express my sincere thanks to Wally Brooks and his Abel Natural
Felt hammers especially made for Steinway concert grands!!   They came out
sounding so wonderful on this 1990 instrument it nearly brought tears to
the eyes of many students here at UNL (all of our piano profs are in
Europe right now), but since they know this instrument and play it
regularly for recitals, I figured they're the best for feedback anyway!. I
had to try it after all the voicing/tone-building stuff I learned from him
2 years ago on an all-day seminar.  They wouldn't stop playing it!  The
smiles it created and the relaxed stature while playing became so
enjoyable,...it was fun to watch and listen.!  I also combined it using
some Andre O. voicing techniques. Overall...a very nice piano now!  The
killer octave has a clarity that I've never heard from this era of
Steinway D.  I timed the everlasting sustain in the mid-range-spread out 2
octave Bb chord and it lasted well over 1.5 minutes until I got weary of
listening for it.....No strike and hear a drop of immediate decay....a
nice and steady decay...even in the killer section.  Maybe I just lucked
out!  Any other of you tried these hammers from Abel on a Steinway D from
this era?

Have a good weekend!

Paul