[CAUT] [Files] FW: Mason A Pics

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sun May 31 18:24:42 MDT 2009

On May 22, 2009, at 2:25 PM, Jim Busby wrote:

> All in all I think at fault is the felt, front duplex/design

	I've been out of town and out of touch, so this is a late entry to
the conversation. I'd like to add to what has been said that I have
come to believe that friction between strings and underfelt is often
if not usually higher than other friction points (like with the
agraffe or the capo and duplex bar). Wool felt is often pretty high
friction to begin with, and if rust enters the picture things get
pretty bad for tuning stability. As a matter of policy,  I use
powdered teflon on all felt that strings are bearing on, and it helps
considerably. Yes, it looks pink (on top of red underfelt), and might
not do for "customer rebuild" work, but it's fine for the university.
For other customers I'd probably brush on McLube or ProLube on the
surface, fairly liberally. Also, firm and relatively thin felt (high
quality key bushing cloth) should be used for agraffes, and fairly
felt (firmer than butt felt IMO) cut just to height for capos after
duplex bars (or half rounds). This means tapering on most Steinways.
The strings should just depress a bit of felt, that's all that is
needed. It's not a good idea to be liberal with the height, and allow
the strings to compress the felt a lot. I like the variety of felt
thicknesses provided by Pianoforte Supply, as it means minimal
customizing.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico