[CAUT] was T-118

Chris Solliday csolliday at rcn.com
Wed Nov 4 05:10:42 MST 2009

In my opinion, and it is only my opinion, the Yamaha U series pianos are the best bang for the buck, most servicable and durable instruments in the high use college situation. I agree with Bill Balmer regarding the others commonly taunted and found in the practice rooms.
We have to repair the pedal mounts, and occasionally replace a broken string which is largely due to not being able to keep up with hammer replacement, but overall this is superior to every other piano I see at 4 different institutions. We have climate control systems in all of them and find the tuning stability also the best in the U series as long as they are kept plugged in and watered.
We do replace the hammers with other than Yamaha after-market products to try and subdue the tone in the small rooms but then that is different issue.
Chris Solliday RPT
Lafayette College
Lehigh University
East Stroudsburg University