[CAUT] Drinks on pianos (was: prepared piano)

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Mon Nov 9 13:39:09 MST 2009

At the school here, we have set up small tables in each of the practice
rooms for non-piano related items, including tools, to teach our students to
respect the piano. Cheap Ikea tables cost $30, and certainly the cost far
outweighs repairs to the pianos from negligence.

Paul

In a message dated 11/9/2009 1:06:23 P.M. Central Standard Time,
custos3 at comcast.net writes:

>Mon, 9  Nov 2009 12:48:25 -0500  Zeno Wood <zeno.wood at gmail.com> wrote:

>I've  found spilling of food and drink to be more of a threat, and harder
>reason with.  Students are, after all, entitled to their  slurpees, lattes,
>and pizzas, at all times.  I sometimes think  about walking into a practice
>room and putting my coffee cup down on  someone's violin.  I mean, [to be
>said with incredulous outrage]  where else am I supposed to put it down?

>Zeno Wood
>Brooklyn  College

Zeno,

We recently had a P-22 knocked out of service by a  spill here at SFSU. We
informed the Director, who went ballistic (he's a  violinist - not a pianist
- but is very protective of the pianos). A week  later the following signs
went up all over the building:

"No Food or  Drink is Allowed in Any Practice Room at Any Time
(exception: water, only  on the floor)
Anyone found with food or drink in a practice room, or water  bottle on the
piano
will fail Music 150 for the semester."

So  now I just walk in there, point at the sign, kick them out of the room
and  lock it. And tell them that next time they are going to the Music
Office to  get flunked.
So far it cut down on food and drinks in the practice rooms  quite a bit.
But it's only been one week...

Of course, the biggest  violators are the faculty - and they got read the
riot act by the Director at  the last faculty meeting. We'll see how much
good that does...

Israel  Stein