[CAUT] A440, once again...

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Nov 9 20:42:27 MST 2009

Jim Busby wrote:

> Once again there is a push here at BYU to set A442 as our pitch
> standard. The Director of the School of Music is behind it, and is also
> the Philharmonic Orch conductor. The problem I see is that most guest
> artists specify A440. Sooooo… if someone visits we’ll have to drop down,
> then back up, back down, up, down… I’m getting dizzy just thinking about it.
>
> Any strong arguments against? Or am I just “bein’ contrary” as my
> kinfolk would say??

People have a positive genius for making things as complicated
and difficult as possible. Is there an established pitch
"standard"? Do you support it? If so, is it for sale? If so,
at what price? You either have a rationally supportable
standard that you rationally (and rather tenaciously) support,
or you accommodate every random notion that comes down the
pike, wherever that leads. Column A - column B. What other
options are there?

Ron N