[CAUT] A440, once again...

TUNERBILL at aol.com TUNERBILL at aol.com
Mon Nov 9 20:40:46 MST 2009

Jim,

Somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to remember that Steinway made the
New York Philharmonic buy another set of pianos when they went to A-442.
Steinway didn't want to see there pianos being raised and lowered.  If I
remember correctly, Steinway was concerned about stress and stability.  So
Steinway wanted one set of pianos that would always be tuned to A-440 and
another set to be tuned to A-442.  Maybe you should ask your department  chair
to buy separate pianos to be tuned to A-442 .  As a trombone player I  am
concerned about tuning issues as I'm sure the other orchestral instruments
are.  I can only make my horn so sharp before I have to start cutting off
tubing which is something I don't want to do.  I can't imagine what the  double
reed players will have to do when making their reeds.  I don't think  the
difference in brilliance that A-442 is suppose to give you is really that
noticeable.  Good luck fighting this trend.

Bill Heiser