[CAUT] microtonal tuning?

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Nov 9 21:14:42 MST 2009

Hi John,
	Interesting. That tuning is, in fact, rather ancient, and was popular
among certain circles (at least as an idea, and mostly in Italy, a bit
in Holland) in the late 16th and early 17th centuries. Some
experimental music was written at that time, and some experimental
keyboards/harpsichords were built for it (maybe organs as well). It
got more press (more people wrote about it) than actual use. It is
also known as 1/3 comma mean tone, which becomes very nearly circular
after 19 notes (hence 19 note ET, division of the octave into 19 equal
parts). The keyboards for this on a few harpsichords, had split sharps
(all 5), and additional slightly raised notes between B and C and
between E and F. One of the most interesting features of the tuning is
that it produces pure minor thirds - everything else is pretty
strange. But it would be interesting to actually hear it, rather than
speculate. (It became popular again among some circles along with
other divisions, especially 31, in the second half of the 20th century)
	I'd argue pretty vehemently against putting these on the concert
instruments, unless it was a very exceptional event. I wouldn't worry
too much about the effect on pianos (in general) over the long term,
as that much pitch change happens seasonally, at least here. Short
term, there would be a fair amount of drift for a good while. For a
concert instrument, you want to keep things within pretty fine
parameters unless there is no way of avoiding it.
	 I'd probably suggest less critical classroom pianos, myself, for
practical reasons: we have 4 that are on trucks in rooms with double
doors - easy to move. And then it would be a question of intra-
departmental squabbling: doing this would put certain pianos out of
use for everybody else. So let them hash out the issues. Me, I'm just
the obliging soul who serves the department.
	My position would be
1) This will take a fair amount of my time, both getting the pianos
there (into that tuning) and getting them back. Time that will be
stolen from other duties.
2) The pianos in question will be out of commission for other purposes
for a period of time (how much rehearsal?). It will take at least a
couple days to get them stable at the adjusted tuning, and a couple
more to get them back. And they will continue to be a little
troublesome for at least a couple weeks or more.
3) The only likely "major" problem would be the need to replace a few
strings, at worst, with the time involved and the stabilizing period.
4) If this project is important enough to the department to live with
the results, I am happy to do it.
[I would fully expect that after this much explanation, somebody might
decide that practice uprights would do for this piece. But I would be
willing to go along with whatever decision is made].
	To re-stabilize, I think it would be worthwhile to do some "string
stretching": press on each string in turn, with a fair amount of
pressure, the kind of thing done with new strings. After having
returned to pitch, before fine tuning.
	Here's another microtonal web site, with an amazing bibliography
(about all aspects of temperament, not just microtonal). http://www.huygens-fokker.org/index_en.html
	BTW, I have finally managed to have a "floater" grand piano starting
this fall, a grand that doesn't have a regular place and use. At the
moment, it is 50¢ flat for a piece on a senior recital that has one at
pitch and another 1/4 step flat. It will also serve as a designated
prepared piano instrument on occasion, and various other functions as
well. A great thing, if it can be managed. Solves a lot of problems.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu