[CAUT] Boston changed to dealers techs mfgrs and other such

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Nov 19 19:04:19 MST 2009

On Nov 19, 2009, at 1:32 PM, Jim Busby wrote:

> How about this; 1. Manufacturers should make it mandatory (Or
> greatly encouraged) that there is a “fully trained” (read RPT) tech
> on staff at every dealership,

	Well, I would love to agree, except that RPT just doesn't cut it in
this context. The RPT tests do not show the skills needed to do dealer
prep. There is a pretty specific set of skills there, and it would be
wonderful to have an endorsement specific to dealer work. But RPT?
Sorry, it covers a different set of skills and knowledge, things more
or less appropriate for "standard home service" with very minor repair
and a basic understanding of regulation.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu