[CAUT] Shellac Voicing

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Nov 23 20:36:33 MST 2009

I disagree about the lacquer.  One of the nice things about lacquer finishes
is that it does continue to harden over time.  Not sure if your thumbnail
imprint is because the lacquer is soft or the wood underneath it is.  In
hammers the lacquer tend to get harder as time goes on especially over the
first several weeks.  Best to wait for second applications if possible.

And not to be picky, but Abel Naturals are an excellent choice depending on
the instrument.  The can be too hard (less likely they are too soft)
depending on the design and condition of the instrument.  I don't agree with
a one hammer fits all approach so sometimes it's a good choice and sometimes
a bad choice depending on the tonal requirements and goal.  In this case I
don't think he identified the instrument, did he?

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com