[CAUT] Jeanie's brain storm - was Boston changed to dealers...

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Mon Nov 23 21:52:14 MST 2009

In a message dated 11/23/2009 5:38:59 P.M. Central Standard Time,
wbis290 at aol.com writes:

Ron,

I agree that any competent technician should be able to service any  piano.
I have serviced everything from Kohler & Campbells, Grand spinets,  (how
many of you remember those?), to Steinway Ds, Bechstein ENs, to  Boesendorfer
Imperials. While there is a world of differences in them, a  competent
technician should be able service them all. Whether this means  taking a cheap
spinet and actually turning it into something that is  to the point of
actually being close to a real piano or concert prepping a  great grand for an
internationally known pianist, a real technician should be  able to do it all.
When I hear someone say that they are a Steinway  technician, a Yamaha
technician, or whatever the first thing that I think  is that they are trying to
impress someone. It does not work.  You either can work on any piano and do a
first class job, or  you should get into another profession.

Bill Balmer, RPT
Ohio Northern University and the University of  Findlay

Bill:

I agree with just about everything you say. What nobody has said is that
the so-called factory training, by which one can claim to be a given
manufacturer's technician is nothing more than a kiss from the marketing
department. If manufacturers were really concerned (and smart), they would find  the
best techs wherever they are, and invite them to free technical training.
Yeah, it would cost an arm and a leg, but you'd have a bunch of good
technicians  out there talking about your piano in much more educated and qualified
terms.  Otherwise, it's simply short-sighted marketing, with the results we
now have at  the dealer level.