[CAUT] Jeanie's brain storm - was Boston changed to dealers...

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Nov 24 23:31:12 MST 2009

These are not significant differences really.  Methods for achieving an
acceptable regulation are irrelevant if you measure regulation by the
outcome (which you should) and not the method.  There are many ways to skin
a cat (disgusting expression really).  A competent tech will discover
quickly enough what works and what doesn't.  How things are done in the
factory is something different and has to do more with ideas about
efficiency in production.

I'm not sure what patents have to do with prep work.  We're not redesigning
the piano, just regulating and voicing it mainly.  Regulation is a fairly
quantifiable procedure and in any modern grand piano doesn't vary that much:
let off, dip, aftertouch, checking, repetition spring tension, key leveling,
blow distance.  While different hammers do require different voicing
techniques a competent tech will know what those differences are and
hopefully not voice a Yamaha hammer in the same way as a lacquered Steinway
hammer because it won't produce the same result.  A properly voiced hammer
well matched to the soundboard/scale functions a certain way and reveals
more than creates what is the essential characteristic inherent in the
piano's design.  In any given piano there is a range of reasonably
achievable voicing goals which will not alter the fallboard characteristics
of a particular brand.   Once the piano is designed and assembled it already
transcends the stamp of any technician to a point.  Of course, you can
overdo anything but, again, a skilled technician should be able to glean the
characteristics and potential in a piano even with the fallboard decal
removed.  That being said, there is one piano maker in particular (starts
with S) that prefers its pianos to be thought of as each having its own
distinct personality.  Varying approaches should suit that philosophy well I
would think (lol).

People may gravitate to a particular brand, but they respond to the
specifics of a particular instrument, its particular voicing, touchweight
dynamics, soundboard/scale characteristics.  Beyond that it is the unique
skill of the technician to be able to recognize and make a judgment about
the potential of any instrument and bring it out.  Rigid, by-the-book
approaches tend to produce mediocrity.  Truly skilled techs see beyond "by
the book" and do what needs to be done to really elevate a piano to its
highest potential.  That's the art of what we do and what separates the
really skilled from the competent.  Requires confidence and some risk taking
but it reaps the highest rewards.  At the risk of contradicting myself I
guess nothing really "transcends the work of the service technician" either
by commission or omission.

I agree with you, btw, that most (but not all) dealers are not willing to
pay for techs with that skill set for their floor prep.  Too bad, but the
truth is that most buyers don't demand that level of performance.  In the
end it's the impression that a fallboard decal gives about a particular
piano's potential that suffers.  Because while a particular design does lend
itself to a particular tonal signature there is a fair amount of wiggle room
under the right hands.  You would think that a manufacturer would like to
play up the possibility of tonal variation rather than create the impression
that all of their instruments are destined to sound alike since in the end
no two players even of the same make and model instrument really want the
same thing.  I'm sure we've all had the experience of customers telling us
that they don't like Yamahas because they're bright or Steinways because
they're dull.  Having an identity isn't always a good thing.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com

Agreed, to some extent, depending on the level of prep. Small things,
though, like, say a string breaks on a NY Steinway, you really ought to know

to put a Mapes wire back on so that you have a better chance of the partials

matching up.  And, staying with Steinway, you can regulate escapement pretty

consistently, "off the jack", but you can't get the same results on a
Boston, and you'll have use a different method.  There will most definitely
be "personality" issues that either limit or allow what you can do with one
action, tone, tuning, etc., versus another brand.

Each brand deserves to carry the touch and sound it considers to be its
signature. I know that SMC, for example, is pretty peculiar about how techs
in the factory approach certain procedures on their Knabe pianos. They don't

want to know all your ideas about how you've done it in the past on a Yamaha

or a Steinway. They want it done their way to preserve their signature and
streamline production.  Steinway and Yamaha similarly have their different
approaches, and it ain't just marketing, it's they way they want it done.
That's why companies apply for patents, and that's why customers are brand
loyal. When a customer sees the name on the fallboard, they're not seeing
Tanner or Love or Nossaman. They're buying into something that they believe
transcends the work of the service technician.

>> Since most dealers have a number of different techs at their disposal
>> often
> with varying levels of experience and expertise, the quality of the prep
> work can vary quite a bit.

I think this is where we differ on perspective.  If you substitute the word
"some" in place of the word "most", I think you'll understand the different
perspective.  I submit that "most" dealers just use techs who are basically
capable of rough floor tunings and wouldn't know how to do most of that
stuff you mentioned in the first section above.  Maybe ya'll do it different

out there, but I know what I've seen in the southeast.

Jeff