[CAUT] Jeanie's brain storm - was Boston changed to dealers...

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Wed Nov 25 01:33:14 MST 2009

When a customer calls for the first time to schedule a tuning appointment, do you tell them that you only accept customers who have their piano tuned at least twice a year, and have full service appointments once per year?

Piano dealers are the customers of the manufacturers. This is especially true during slow economic times - the primary goal is to support the piano dealer, provide the best pianos possible at the best price possible, and give them the guidance and tools to represent the product in a quality manner.  Dealers are chosen more for financial stability and proven sales performance over time than anything else.  Bad dealers who sell cheap, don't prep or and give bad service generally do not stay in business very long, and this weeds them out naturally to some degree

Although I don't it now, but back in St. Louis, my business had gotten to the point where I was able to pick my customers who were serious about their pianos, And I know of several technicians who operate the same way. So in a sense that statement is not apropos here.

Regarding the next paragraph, with all due respect, Don, I believe that the above statement is part of the problem in the piano industry. First of all, the lack of properly prepping pianos did not just happen within the last year. This has been an on going problem for decades, during good times and bad time. Second, all pianos sold by manufactures need some or a lot of prepping. I am sure there are some dealers that are very diligent about making sure their pianos are prepped before they are sold, the truth of the matter is, as most technicians having been saying, there are way too many dealers who do not properly prep their pianos. They either don't know what a properly prepped piano is supposed to be, or they are not willing to pay to have the work done. Third, maybe the manufactures give the dealers the guidance and tools to present the product in a quality manner, again, most dealers either do not understand the guidance, or refuse to abide by them. And fourth, while I know dealers are chosen more for financial stability, what's wrong with also choosing dealers who can show that they are committed to provide the service the pianos need, before and after the sale? Why is that not part of the criteria for choosing a dealer?  I don't thing a car dealer would even get a second look if that dealer couldn't show a fully operational service department.

Don, I appreciate how you're trying to defend the manufactures side of this. But I am not the only one who sees that there is a basic lack of quality control between the time a piano leaves the factory, and the time it reaches the customer's house. That lack of quality control is not the responsibility of the private piano technicians asked to tune the piano after it's been delivered. That responsibility lies with the dealer and subsequently with the manufacturer. From my point of view, if the dealers doesn't provide that control, then the manufactures should strongly request it.

Wim