[CAUT] Jeanie's brain storm - was Boston changed to dealers...

rwest1 at unl.edu rwest1 at unl.edu
Wed Nov 25 07:44:19 MST 2009

Hi, Jeanie,

I guess I'm not really getting your point.  It seems like you're
saying that there are a lot of players but that two of those players
(manufacturers and dealers) aren't stepping up to do their part.  I
agree to the extent that hardly any piano shipped to a dealer is in
finished condition from a local technician's perspective, and so the
next logical step, therefore, would be for manufacturers to insist
that the final finishing be accomplished between the time the piano
leaves the factory and arrives in the home.  As much as we would like
to have that happen, we know that it generally doesn't.  And so the
bashing begins.  The pianos aren't good enough.  The dealers aren't
good enough.  The technicians aren't good enough, or principled
enough, or stubborn enough.  The customer isn't smart enough. Players
can choose to bash each other and get nowhere.

Like a lot of conversations about our profession, there's a
circularity to the conversation.  We go around and around picking out
the part(s) of the circle that we have strong feelings about and not
seeing the "broader picture," all the other players, including the
individual technician.  But since no individual player has enough
resources to "do what is right" the finger pointing begins.

Given all the perspectives involved, there will be different
approaches.  Keeping the volume down, respecting the other players,
and taking care of what each of us can control is my way of dealing
with the situation.  Flexibility over rigidity seems to me to be
preferable.  But manufacturers and dealers will always be a necessary
evil  for some technicians.  And visa versa.

We all want customers with instruments that are well-prepped and
ready.  The search for the resources to accomplish that should
continue.  And the conversation among the players should continue as
well.

Richard West