[CAUT] Jeanie's brain storm - was Boston changed to dealers...

Dennis Johnson johnsond at stolaf.edu
Wed Nov 25 11:02:32 MST 2009

Hi-

So since we've taken it this far, I have a question.  This is a real problem
which has happened to me, and fairly recently.  I am called to tune and
check and service, as feasible, a piano I have not known from a new customer
who is referred by older customers.  The piano is from eastern europe and
probably about 5 years old.  They are very unhappy with it to say the least
and have been through the dealers service enough times to be looking
elsewhere.   I arrive, the customer is not even there but arranges for
someone to have let me in.  Via phone, I confirm lots of regulation, voicing
and tuning needs, but only have about 3 hrs max to offer with this visit.  I
explain very clearly that I am not a representative from the dealer and do
not have any prior association with that particular dealer, and, nothing
personal, but I'm not here to start such a relationship with that dealer
either.   I could greatly improve this piano, but this is between you -the
customer- and me.  As I see it, my rate was most reasonable anyway, but the
point is the customer should be able make that choice.  I was not interested
in going though or working for that particular dealer.  Just how it is.
Customer approved this arrangement and I got to work and left my invoice.
A few weeks later I wasn't paid yet,  so made a call.   Turns out the
customer changed his mind and decided that indeed the dealer should pay
anyway so he made an issue.  You can imagine what happens next.  In the end
the dealer paid, but wasn't very happy and I feel betrayed by the
customer.   I don't know if I'll go back there or not.   There is no other
product I can think of in any market where customers seem to have so much
flexibility about service.  Take your car anywhere you want, but if the
dealer is going to pay for it under warranty you need to talk to them.  Can
we not trust an independent agreement with the piano owner for service on a
piano less than 10 years old?  Any suggestions.......?

cheers,

Dennis Johnson