[CAUT] Steinway dampers: The aftermath

Donald McKechnie dmckech at ithaca.edu
Wed Nov 25 21:03:25 MST 2009

Kent,

The actions for the two pianos are similar when out of the piano but
one can feel the extra weight from the damper springs on the older
B's when the action is back in. Your response has given me some
encouragement to give the springs a try on one of the newer B's. I
currently have one of them in the shop for a Stanwood modification so
this might just be the right time! One question, do you modify the
weight of the underlever when adding springs? I want to say there is
a weight difference on the underlevers between the old and new but I
will not know until I return to the shop on Monday. I am installing
wippen support springs so I will watch out for the "let-off bump."

Regards,
Don

> From: Kent Swafford <kswafford at gmail.com>
> Date: November 25, 2009 10:22:51 PM EST
> To: caut at ptg.org
> Subject: Re: [CAUT] Steinway dampers: The aftermath

> If an action is set up correctly, I believe it can handle the
> addition of underlever springs. I routinely install damper
> underlever springs with all new back actions, and even retrofit
> underlever springs when installing new dampers.
>
> The benefit of improved damping outweighs any possible touchweight
> problems, as far as I am concerned, not that I have encountered any
> such touchweight problems.
>
> It is a bit difficult to quantify touch-weight problems that might
> result from underlever springs since touchweight is generally
> considered without damper involvement at all, of course. The only
> "problem" I have ever been concerned about is on actions with wipp
> support springs. In those actions, during pianissimo playing, the
> underlever spring can seem to add enough resistance to make the let-
> off bump a bit more noticeable than "usual." But no pianist has yet
> complained.
>

> Kent Swafford

Don McKechnie
Piano Technician