[CAUT] Steinway dampers: The aftermath

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Nov 26 08:57:51 MST 2009

My only issue with springs is that people tend to set them with too much
tension.  While springs do a lot for cutting off the sound quickly and
efficiently there is a price to pay.  That price is the differential in the
touch dynamics with the pedal engaged and without.  When you consider that
the touchweight is only 50 grams or so then adding another 32 grams midway
through the keystroke is of consequence.  While you can't, obviously,
eliminate a change in touch dynamics when the damper engages entirely, I
like that feeling to be minimized as much as possible.  I think Renner
guidelines of 32 grams at #1 are too high and I prefer to set it lower than
that and prefer that they gradually reduce to where they are no longer
needed by the time you reach the capo section.  I've not come up with a
specific number to target but will say that I like the spring to do minimal
work, mainly enough to keep the damper from bouncing around.  I prefer to
get good shut off by concentrating more on the proper positioning and
configuration of the dampers themselves rather than just adding more
tension.  I think it makes for a better feeling action overall and prefer to
compromise in that direction over instant and totally dead shutoff.  The
goal for me is simply uniformity in shutoff-a challenge under the best of
circumstances.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com