[CAUT] Grand Obsession

Richard Adkins RADKINS at coe.edu
Wed Sep 2 08:33:07 MDT 2009

Fred,

 I read the book, but was not able to decipher exactly what the "Schubert Concert Tuning" was from her description or the tuners quoted.

Too much mysticism.

I've read on here comments that it is just a "compressed" tuning, or that "it is not stretched as much". Compressed in what way is the question? Your pure double
octaves comment seems to give me a better idea.

I know finally the author got a SAT tuner programmed for every note HER piano, but that wouldn't do it on another piano. I'd like to hear that tuning in person. As the piano
changes with the seasons, that "perfect" tuning might not work so well. But I'd have
to hear it to know. I'm not going to head out to Montana to find out.
Also, she never was able to get the sound from the piano that was in the show room when she bought it, but she was willing to compromise some in the end. It was "close".

HA!

I've not heard the Grotrian live, but recordings of it sound like "just another Euro grand"
to me. I'm sure it is well built and sounds "nice". It doesn't seem to have any guts.
And frankly after reading the book, I wonder what all the fuss was about that brand.

No, the mystique is in the book (and maybe overdone).
What can I say, she was on a strange trip,  and the book is a fun
read. Save yourself some bucks and get it interlibrary loan as you
won't read it twice, I'll bet. Enjoy the ride.

Just my own view of it.

Cheers,

Richard Adkins
Coe College