[CAUT] WNG parts

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sun Sep 6 12:55:52 MDT 2009

On Sep 6, 2009, at 6:58 AM, Chris Solliday wrote:

> My big concern with these parts is the felt bushings.

	According to Kirk Burkett, the felt bushing will soon be replaced by
a hard bushing somewhat like the old Steinway teflon (except a
somewhat different material, and since it will be in a plastic, not
wooden, flange, not subject to humidity change). So this question may
disappear very quickly in the next generation of WNG parts (not that
that answers the question, but it's something to bear in mind). He
seemed to think that this would happen within a year or less, as they
were essentially satisfied with testing results, and only needed to
deal with manufacturing issues. According the the tests, with some
number of million swings (as he said, having Pianodisc systems readily
available is convenient for testing), the friction moved by only a
gram or so (say, from 4 to 3), and "firmness" stayed virtually constant.
	But we shall see. It will require new pinning tools, which they have
already made available (at least they had them on display), reamers
and burnishers graduated in .0005" increments. I'm not sure if the
burnishers apply to the new material. I would think not, but neglected
to ask.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico