[CAUT] Steinway Documentary (Paul T Williams)

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 14 16:44:35 MDT 2009

>Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 16:13:49 -0500
>From: Paul T Williams <pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu>

>What I also found cool was how great the bridge notching guy was...very
>fast and very accurate. I can only dream of such... I wish he had been
>there in the 60's and 70's!!! Sigh...

Paul,

An interesting tidbit of information I found out on a Steinway factory tour is that those guys make their own chisels from worn out files. Apparently the metal that is used for commercially made chisels is not hard enough to get the sort of edge they need to do it that fast and that accurately...

Israel Stein