[CAUT] Disinfecting keys -- H1N1 virus

G Cousins cousins_gerry at msn.com
Mon Sep 14 18:35:55 MDT 2009

Our crisis response department is issuing Purell dispensers to all areas of the campus. Crazy thing is once the "crisis" passes they will not supply additional refills for the dispensers. (go figure)  Simply speaking, dry conditions = dead virus'

This summer I did go through almost every piano,  removed and thoroughly cleaned (sides too) the key sticks with my usual mixture of simple green.  Yes there was an inordinate amount of crap removed but I did feel pretty good that there was a clean keyboard for the beginning of the semester.
Additional time invested = healthier piano tech (me).  I also continue to top surface clean whenever I tune evry keyboard. I do this before I tune and then clean after completing the job.

WARNING WARNING..... If any of the people use any of the "alcohol based"waterless hand cleaners, You DO have to re-educate them to be absolutely certain that all the alcohol has evaporated before they begin to touch the piano. I have found that the alcohol does have adverse affect the finish (Steinway ebony) On one of the pianos I didn't get to over the summer, the buildup of gunk/crap/finger oils, etc, had actually dissolved (when one of the students used the Waterless cleaners) to a point that the sharps became rough to the touch.  I cleaned with teh usual; method and all's well. At least for now.

Hope this helps.
Bottom line with any virus... Can't stop it only hope to slow it or at least minimize the symptoms.  Kind of like pianos going out of tune.

Gerry Cousins
West Chester University of PA