[CAUT] interesting piano

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Sep 15 12:40:04 MDT 2009

I tuned an interesting piano this morning - at 77°F and 79%RH,
but that's another thing. It's a Kohler & Campbell spinet,
circa 1953, that I've tuned for about 15 years now. I'd love
to see this string scale in the spreadsheet. Fans of
monochords will count 21! This leaves 4 bichords on the bass
bridge for a total of 25 notes in the bass. Then, in a spinet,
mind you, there are an additional 11 bichords on a low tenor
transition bridge! This makes the first plain wire unison at
A-3 #37, about in the vicinity where a current redesign
approach might put it. Couldn't have been Del's doing. He
would have been about 9 at the time. <G>

It sounds better than usual, even with the wrapped strings
getting funky, and the hammers wearing out. The neat thing is
that there's no dramatic pitch change at the low tenor with
seasonal changes. It tracks along pretty closely with the high
bass, and blends far better than I'm used to hearing in pianos
this size.

Somebody was apparently thinking, and was allowed to try to do
something right.

Anyone know anything about this?
Ron N