[CAUT] Swine flu

Christopher Purdy purdy at ohio.edu
Tue Sep 15 20:22:04 MDT 2009

Jim,

Here's a copy of the email I sent out to faculty today.  I cribbed
most of it from the list...

Faculty Members,

Every year I get a lot of questions about cleaning the keyboard of
pianos.  This year everyone is especially concerned about sanitizing
to prevent the spread of virus.  I have been using cheap baby wipes
with no alcohol to clean keyboards.  It does a good job and is
convenient to use but I'm not sure how effective the mild soap is on
killing the virus.  I am forwarding an email below from a piano
technician that suggests the use of Hydrogen Peroxide.  It's not as
convenient but should do a better job of killing germs.  Please do be
careful not to spill it directly on the piano, of course.  Pour a
small amount onto a clean cotton cloth and then go over the keys.

Also, please DO NOT  use any product with alcohol.  Alcohol will cause
the plastic key tops to become rough and dull.  It can also ruin the
lacquer finish on older sharp keys.  If you use an alcohol based hand
sanitizer, please be sure to wait until the product has completely
evaporated from your hands before beginning to play.

Thank you,

Chris

Begin forwarded message:

On Sep 15, 2009, at 9:13 PM, Jim Busby wrote:

> All,
>
> The Dean at Snow College just asked if there is anything that can be
> sprayed on the piano keys to kill germs and avoid passing swine flu
> around. Any thoughts? I guess it's good they asked me, before hosing
> down the pianos with Lysol...
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jim Busby
> BYU and Snow College