[CAUT] Swine flu

Douglas Wood dew2 at u.washington.edu
Wed Sep 16 13:35:36 MDT 2009

I am afraid that I must object in the most strenuous possible terms
to the fear-mongering about vaccines. Any of you who think that you
are better off ignoring the profound public health benefits to our
current vaccination programs are welcome to visit, or even live in,
the parts of the world that do not have them. How quickly we forget
the horrors of pre-vaccination epidemics.

It goes farther that this, though. If a sufficient percentage of a
given population refuses vaccination, then the ENTIRE population is
at much greater risk of the adverse health effects of the epidemic.

I wish to make clear that I do not believe that vaccinations are some
sort of panacea, or great ANSWER. They are not perfect, and there are
always a few who suffer adverse reactions. But do look carefully and
dispassionately at the evidence of the clear public health benefits
before hiding in the closet and thereby putting the rest of us at
greater risk, please.

A certain amount of trust in our public health authorities is fully
justifiable.

Doug Wood