[CAUT] source for 3m microfinishing film?

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Sep 23 08:51:27 MDT 2009

On Sep 23, 2009, at 8:01 AM, John Minor wrote:
> Anyone have a source for this polyester backed sandpaper in small
> quantities?
>
> John Minor
> University of Illinois

If you are after the stuff Andre Oorebeck talks about in his book,
Jurgen is selling it at pianofortesupply. A kit of strips (3 grits)
plus a clear sanding "block" with a strip (for fitting hammers, as
illustrated in the book) is $15 (he had them at the conventon). I got
some full sheets from him for $10 each. This is a very stiff backing,
and will last a lot of sets of hammers (I expect I am stocked for the
rest of my career). I am not familiar with the stuff Micromark sells
(Jon Page's source), but it is not the same from the description,
though perhaps similar enough that it would be a less expensive
substitute. I searched the 3M site for the product, and, well, gave
up. They show it only in discs and belts, best I can figure out.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu