[CAUT] Polishing Agraffes

Lawrence R K Becker lawrence.becker at insightbb.com
Wed Sep 23 16:08:23 MDT 2009

Dear Group-

What polishing compound do you find works well when cleaning up agraffes?  I
have some from a new Boston that were discolored after an HVAC pipe leaked
into the piano, down the (mostly) bass strings, and into the agraffes.  I
used Hagerty Heavy-Duty copper brass & metal polish, which initial tests
showed to work a little better than Brasso.  The results are not
acceptable--the discoloration is still there, and the brass did not get that
high shine I've seen when polishing capstans.

I'll have to re-do these, and would like to do so only once.

Any help appreciated.

Lawrence Becker, RPT
Northern Kentucky University