[CAUT] New flu info

Scott E. Thile scott.thile at murraystate.edu
Wed Sep 23 19:09:48 MDT 2009

I use straight denatured alcohol for cleaning keytops all the time. It does
not hurt modern plastics, ivory, or ebony. It will sometimes lift the paint
used on some sharps, or whatever is used to blacken the sides and back of
the keysticks. I have not had any problems with it on lacquer or polyester
finishes.

As Ari mentioned, I don't think cleaning the keys is the answer. You'd  have
to clean them after every use of the piano. More effective to have hand
sanitizer dispensers handy and use that before and after practice or lesson
sessions. It's not like you can stand guard and clean keys after each
student leaves a practice room!

Scott E. Thile
Murray State University