[CAUT] grand knuckles

Dan Rembold d_rembold at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 24 11:51:42 MDT 2009

List,
I have a Steinway D in our main recital hall that I service, that gets a lot of use.  This piano was rebuilt by another shop about two years ago, and the hammers are holding up well, but the knuckles are already becoming flat and misshapen.  The hammers, shanks, and flanges are Steinway.  It's already to the point that the player can "feel" the jack drag off the front "node" of the knuckle, and getting an exact clean let-off point is hard to do.

I've thought of trying to fluff the knuckles with a brass brush.  Are there some other tips that I could use to extend the knuckle life expentancy until the next hammer change?  Flange centers are still good.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Dan Rembold
Auburn University