[CAUT] Polishing Agraffes

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Thu Sep 24 21:56:44 MDT 2009

Paul, Others,

I did look at what the reamer does, (er, leaves undone) and when compared to what your method does, I'll spend the extra time (As you prescribe). It's doesn't take that long to make an agraffe excellent.

Also, I have looked at them after being strung then taken off (after your method); it does maintain its shape, at least for the few weeks I had it on. I think it's because you actually seem to be doing something more than just "making it pretty". Do you have any pictures of this? (After your treatment and put on the piano for a while, then removed.) This might be something you should do.

Ed, I've tried the skewer and couldn't get the same results. They either broke prematurely, or simple didn't shape it like the Q tip. I think the Brasso on the Q tip is crucial. I've also tried the candy/sucker sticks someone recommended with inferior results. The cotton/Brasso seems to be best combination.

It takes about two ½ hours to do Paul's method, but I let one of the students do it. Keeps them out of my hair.

Jim