[CAUT] Action Rail Flange Cloth

rwest1 at unl.edu rwest1 at unl.edu
Fri Sep 25 15:32:56 MDT 2009

Paul,

One thing that didn't get mentioned is the possible cushioning effect
the cloth might provide.  I've always thought the cloth allows the
flange to breathe a little bit with the changes in humidity.  The
flange stays in position, but isn't damaged by the squeeze between
the screw and brass rail.  Sort of like what a flange bushing does.
I can't prove any of this, except to say that Steinway left the cloth
off for a few years, but the cloth is back now, whatever the reason.

Richard West