[CAUT] Action Rail Flange Cloth

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Sep 25 20:15:05 MDT 2009

It's not really like the original which is more like braid and not stuck down.  The unique shape of the action rails sometimes creates stability challenges if the hammer shanks need to be slightly off from an ideal 90 degree arrangement (hard to believe but can happen).  The sandpaper arrangement is not uncommon to many well made pianos whose hammer flange rail is more amenable to fine lateral adjustments.  Sandpaper on these rails makes it just a bit easier and stable and there is no downside.  Of course, it does deviate from the genuine Steinway parts philosophy.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com