[CAUT] hammer flange rail cloth

Chris Solliday csolliday at rcn.com
Sat Sep 26 06:27:50 MDT 2009

I have used stringing braid coated with beeswax for many years. It's sticky enough to hold and lubed enough to move the flange when screwed down tightly. Steinway used to use this system but now use the felt with light glue back. I don't like what happens over time with the felt. The braid and wax do their job better over time. Braid from any supply house but I get my beeswax from Joe Goss. Just lay out the braid and warm the wax with a heat gun and put it on like you would stick deodorant. I like Ron N's idea for starting the screw holes with the hot ice pick although with the braid and wax it moves to accomodate.
Chris Solliday