[CAUT] experiment

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Sep 28 14:44:39 MDT 2009

Thanks, Alan,

I took more pics (if you're interested, I'll post them)  It appears very
little changes in flange height when the screws are tightened, but there
is some.  Maybe a total of .5mm max; from bare bar to sandpaper to
stringing-braid.

My initial thought when doing this was, how much will this affect the
total regulation of the action as a whole and/or how will the travelling
be affected? (I have not done this step yet).

My first thoughts are that it will only make a difference in the settings
of the many screws, springs, etc., but would indeed regulate properly at
the most important places like let-off and drop,etc., being such a little
measurement.  Then, I started thinking about the heights making a rather
big difference in geometry.  Or would it? That is, being compared to
flanges at the exact same height using only one kind of under-flange
material.(assuming the rail is perfectly even, that is...)

What I've done so far is to simply screw down, snugly, the flanges on the
rail and let the various flanges, cloths, paper to get acclimated to each
other.  I'll tighten them a bit more tomorrow and then travel the shanks.

How important is this measurement if it's "regulatable" as far as the
final product?  0.5mm(or less) is a very small measurement at this point
of the overall geometry, and I'm sure a day to day pianist might not
notice this as much as changing key dip or drop by this much would be to a
seasoned pianist (or piano major).  I'm hoping, when all the new parts are
on and piano re-strung, etc, that it will play very evenly as I hope. I
suppose the experiment is more to do with how well the flange stays in
place rather than drifting, causing lots of re-aligning of hammers to
strings with these different methods, season to season, including what
might make "noise" in dry times..  Was flange position stability the main
reason Steinway used cloth (or other makers using various stuffs) or a
sound issue?

Any more thoughts on this sort of geometry-potential/regulating issues are
always welcome!

This is a fun project!
Thanks, all

Paul T. Williams RPT