[CAUT] soundboard possible OT for list

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Sep 28 21:39:09 MDT 2009

So it's the 4' strings that are contacting the board? In that case,
yes, I suppose you could put one under the 4' bridge. I have never run
into that, but I don't see why it wouldn't happen. Probably due to the
board being dried too much before installation, relative to its later
environment. No need for hardwood as dowel material. It just supports
the spring, and it is the spring tension that supports the bridge/board.
	You should know that the ribs on a harpsichord do not run under
bridges. There are typically a set of ribs and a cut off bar to
stiffen the area in the bass corner of the board closest to the
player. The board is unsupported under the  bridge. Additional support
is offered by the 4' hitch pin rail, which is what holds the 4' hitch
pins, and is mortised into the inner case rim. So the bridges ride on
unsupported board, a few inches on either side. Which explains why
there is usually at least a bit of a trough where the bridge is.
	Bridge rolling can be corrected to a degree by back pinning. I'll
attach a photo. It's a simple procedure, drilling a hole at an
appropriate angle below the string where it is originally, pounding in
a pin (a center pin works), then pulling the string around it. Or you
can capture the string when you first install the pin. Sometimes a bit
of lowering of tension is helpful, but not usually necessary.
	I have not bothered lowering tension when installing a happiness bar,
nor when back pinning.
Fred

Regards,
Fred Sturm